Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mikah's Rough Day

So, Mandy read my blog post from yesterday and said that I wasn't funny. I apologize to all of you for my sub-par performance. I will try to improve upon my failure, and bring more smiles into your day.(I, myself, thought the line about not feeding your sons fingers to the goat was pretty funny, but Mandy didn't even crack a smile)

Anyhow, on to a new post. Mikah is walking really well and has good balance. He has actually been walking for about 2 months now, at least a little bit. He hardly even crawls anymore. But, he has two problems, well really three, but the third one isn't really his problem. The first is he thinks that everything is made out of the same stuff. For example, when he is in the shower with me (it is a lot easier to bathe him when he is in the shower) he will walk around, and sometimes he tries to lean in the shower curtain. This obviously doesn't hold him up, but he usually catches himself or just slides down the side of the tub. Another kind of funny example is, just yesterday at Costco, he was walking around and saw a bag of chips (this was a jumbo sized, big as he is, and packed full of air bag of chips). He ran straight for it and slammed his hands into it (he really likes hitting things to see what sounds they make). The chips bounced him back about a foot and landed him on his butt. It may be one of those things where you had to be there, but I laughed out loud at him.

Now onto his bad day last week. Mikah's second problem, which is his depth perception (or lack there of) leads straight into the first incident on that day. He likes to get about a foot away from things and then lean into them and grab them. He doesn't usually need to be supported, but I think he likes the comfort of being held up. Usually he won't stop and judge where he is, and some of the time he will run up to the object that is going to hold him up. Also, up until the fateful day last week, he always kept his feet under him. Well, Monday of last week, Mikah was just going through the motions of, didn't keep his head up as he went in for the tackle, and bam, he got bowled over by our TV stand. He took a hard hit in the mouth and cut up his bottom lip.

You may remember from Mandy's post that Mikah fell two times that day, the second time cutting his top lip. What she didn't tell you is Mikah's third problem, she likes to help him fall down. He was under his high chair (it is pretty tall and he can walk under it) walking around. Mandy decided that the high chair was not in the right spot, so she pushes it (it is on wheels with bars across the front and back connecting the legs at the bottom) and takes his feet out from under him. (I know Mandy, you didn't mean to hurt him, it was just and accident)



I don't really know why Mandy put this picture on her blog, but you can kind of see some blood on his tooth and a mark under his bottom lip. He was pretty happy still.


Mandy didn't really explain what happened with the rose bushes, so I will fill you in better. When I got home on that day, Mandy was outside with Mikah. He loves it outside, and loves walking in the grass. I took him from her and let him walk around in the grass. Mandy went in for a while but the came back out and Mikah was pretty far away from the bushes still. We start to talk and watch Mikah together as he starts making his way to the bushes. He gets about a step away, and Mandy says "Don't let him get in the bushes, they are rose bushes." And then she goes inside. So, I am left with a dilemma. I can't let him know that I am coming to get him, because he will get too excited and dive for the bushes. I can't just sneak up on him, because he is eying (I did not know that was how you spell eye-ing) the bushes like he wanted to hold them. So, I got his attention and slowly made my way towards him. When I was almost there, he got a little excited and fell back onto his butt. He would have been just fine but he tried to use the bushes to catch himself on the way down. This is where his first problem (thinking every thing is made out of the same stuff) hurt him. He started to cry, and so I picked him up and grabbed his arm to look at his hand (from what I saw, his hand is what grabbed the bushes) but he just screamed and wouldn't let me look. Later in the house we saw his arm.


Mikah's arm after the rose bushes.


It is pretty amazing the Mikah still seems to fine and progressing after all we let him go through.

Anyway, the fish is still alive and Mandy has seemed to either put off trying to kill it, or is doing things when I am not here and not telling me about them. I will try to keep my eye open, don't tell Mandy this, but I might even put in a hidden camera so I can catch her, I don't think she can read this small text.

Now to make my post funny, enjoy:

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He's not breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls 911.

"I think my friend is dead!" he yells. "What can I do?" The operator says, "Calm down. First, let's make sure he's dead."

There's a silence, then a shot. Back on the phone, the guy says, "Okay, now what?"

No comments:

Post a Comment